~ Forums of Enroth ~
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

~ Forums of Enroth ~

The Enroth diehard fan community

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» [H3SW 0.8.2] Spicy Delivery
"WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No? Icon_minitimeby DanilaRud015 2024-07-25, 23:37

» ...to XP run...
"WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No? Icon_minitimeby Darmani 2024-07-18, 21:34

» fheroes2 General Announcements
"WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No? Icon_minitimeby sirDranik 2024-07-15, 00:28

» Silence of the Siren (HoMM like scifi game)
"WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No? Icon_minitimeby Sir Albe 2024-07-13, 08:09

» Songs of Silence (HoMM like game)
"WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No? Icon_minitimeby Blake01 2024-07-07, 21:12

» Lego Heroes of Might & Magic
"WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No? Icon_minitimeby Blake01 2024-07-07, 21:00

» 5Kings1Ring
"WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No? Icon_minitimeby GodRage 2024-07-01, 10:33

Poll
Global announcements should be:
Everlasting, 1 for each project.
"WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No? Redbar110%"WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No? Redbar12
 0% [ 0 ]
Temporary, when there is something new to announce.
"WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No? Redbar11100%"WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No? Redbar12
 100% [ 6 ]
Holalala... No idea where the Ultimate artifact is.
"WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No? Redbar110%"WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No? Redbar12
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6
Most Viewed Topics
H3SW: General Graphics discussion
Ragoon's Graphics For HoMM3SW
Introduce yourself
H3SW General Discussion
H3SW Map List: Work in progress
H3SW: Dwelling Development
Forum Admins Feed
The Floody Land
Enrothian Fan Art
Heroes III: The Succession Wars v0.8.2 Beta

"WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No?

Go down 
+10
Gravorce
Unknown_Hero
Uhm
rrravyn
buffkaz
Darmani
Sir Albe
GodRage
Steven Aus
Orzie
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

"Wait" in HoMM2?
Yes
"WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No? Redbar1180%"WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No? Redbar12
 80% [ 55 ]
No
"WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No? Redbar1120%"WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No? Redbar12
 20% [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 69

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
Orzie
Master Modder
Master Modder
Orzie

Quality Points : 843
Registration Date : 2014-12-12

"WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No? Empty
PostSubject: "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No?   "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No? Icon_minitime2016-03-09, 18:33

It's time to set up a major discussion about HoMM2 gameplay mechanics.

According to the HoMM2 Museum thread, some promo screenshots of HoMM2 demonstrate a peculiar battle interface featuring the WAIT button.

But did it really exist?

"WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No? JSoQbWN"WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No? 8C0rQ4e"WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No? JhsXEiE

Yes, it did! According to the in-game data, there was no such graphics (obviously, cut out), but the code still contains some lines making it possible.

"WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No? CA01PRi

The Wait function can be restored with AlexSpl's Patch (first link in the list), where you can activate it by pressing the "W" key on the keyboard. However, the AI doesn't know how to use it, so that it makes sense only in multiplayer, where the human players may create complex strategies on the battlefield.

The question is: Would you be interested to play HoMM2 with this "new" feature?
Let the debates begin!

Elf
Elf
Steven Aus

Quality Points : 38
Registration Date : 2015-07-21

PostSubject: Re: "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No?   "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No? Icon_minitime2016-03-09, 22:24

Yes I would, but only if the AI can use it properly too.
Back to top Go down
Orzie
Master Modder
Master Modder
Orzie

PostSubject: Re: "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No?   "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No? Icon_minitime2016-03-10, 01:57

This is why this poll is actually put in the Project Ironfist domain Smile
Yes, it is intended that the AI is capable of using the feature.

Webmaster
Webmaster
GodRage

Quality Points : 229
Registration Date : 2009-09-21

PostSubject: Re: "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No?   "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No? Icon_minitime2016-03-10, 02:08

Yessssssss "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No? 589285140
Steven Aus wrote:
Yes I would, but only if the AI can use it properly too.
+1 Exclamation

Sir Albe
Mage
Mage
Sir Albe

Quality Points : 456
Registration Date : 2015-07-16

PostSubject: Re: "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No?   "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No? Icon_minitime2016-03-10, 04:59

I is always annoyed when I have to skip the turn of my fast units, because simply no enemies moved. Therefore I believe the Wait function could be very convenient for H2 Smile
Back to top Go down
Darmani
Master Modder
Master Modder
Darmani

Quality Points : 47
Registration Date : 2014-12-27

PostSubject: Re: "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No?   "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No? Icon_minitime2016-03-10, 07:49

I think the Wait button is a good idea because it's a fairly simple mechanic that adds a lot of tactical depth, lets the player feel more in control, and removes the feeling of players feeling bad for having what is mostly a good thing.

To have it on by default in Ironfist, we'd have to make the decision to fully embrace having existing maps play differently (and probably incorporate lots of balance changes while we're at it).
Back to top Go down
buffkaz
Nomad
Nomad
buffkaz

Quality Points : 40
Registration Date : 2015-10-25

PostSubject: Re: "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No?   "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No? Icon_minitime2016-03-10, 09:12

If you add the range penalty I think you should also add the wait button, otherwise it's sometimes better to have slow shooters than quick ones, that doesn't make sense.
If there's a possibilty to choose between the H2 & H3 battle system before you start a new game that would be very awesome!
Back to top Go down
rrravyn
Nomad
Nomad
rrravyn

Quality Points : 41
Registration Date : 2015-07-30

PostSubject: Re: "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No?   "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No? Icon_minitime2016-03-10, 11:32

"Wait" button was the one of improvements in HoMM III that I appreciated so yes, if it possible, I want to see it in HoMM II Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Orzie
Master Modder
Master Modder
Orzie

PostSubject: Re: "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No?   "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No? Icon_minitime2016-03-10, 20:06

buffkaz wrote:
If you add the range penalty I think you should also add the wait button, otherwise it's sometimes better to have slow shooters than quick ones, that doesn't make sense.
If there's a possibilty to choose between the H2 & H3 battle system before you start a new game that would be very awesome!
Why should anyone add range penalty in Heroes 2? I think it's more than pointless with its battlefield size.
It already exists during the siege, though.

Anyways, with H3SW's classic battle system being H3 battles, I think having PI with classic H2 combat + WAIT will be ultimately awesome.

Concerning the classic maps and whatever, probably, there is an opportunity to turn off the WAIT feature for classic maps. More reasons to create more Ironfist maps, yay Very Happy

Elf
Elf
Steven Aus

PostSubject: Re: "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No?   "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No? Icon_minitime2016-03-10, 20:18

How would you decide which maps are "classic maps"? After all, there were a lot of high quality user-made maps do that might need wait to be off. Are Ironfist maps a different format to regular .mp2 or .mx2 maps? If so it could just set the wait option based on the format.
Back to top Go down
Darmani
Master Modder
Master Modder
Darmani

Quality Points : 47
Registration Date : 2014-12-27

PostSubject: Re: "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No?   "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No? Icon_minitime2016-03-11, 05:03

Ironfist maps are the same format as classic maps currently. That will probably change at some point, just as we've changed the savegame format.
Back to top Go down
Orzie
Master Modder
Master Modder
Orzie

PostSubject: Re: "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No?   "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No? Icon_minitime2016-03-11, 05:13

That would be a nice addition. Still, there are some requests, like the ability to restrict certain types of factions (for random choice), especially the Cyborg, some alliance tweaks and so on. And the ability to convert classic maps to Ironfist format, of course.

The Wait feature may be functional only on Ironfist maps. Don't know if it's doable.

Vampire
Vampire
Uhm

Quality Points : 477
Registration Date : 2015-07-17

PostSubject: Re: "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No?   "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No? Icon_minitime2016-03-12, 11:40

I voted for "no" ;P I like a lot tactical feeling which "wait" button gives in H3, but it is very often overused, especially when we're playing with AI. In H2 it's also  case of a smaller battlefield - creatures can reach the opposite site quicker and because of it waiting is less useful. Moreover the longer fight lasts, the bigger is chance of loosing more troops - archers have no penalties for distance and even week wizard can cast lightning bolts one by one killing our best creatures.

I would be very glad to know what exactly moved NWC to resign from this idea.
Back to top Go down
Orzie
Master Modder
Master Modder
Orzie

PostSubject: Re: "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No?   "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No? Icon_minitime2016-03-12, 15:48

Quote :
creatures can reach the opposite site quicker and because of it waiting is less useful.

But this is the ultimate advantage. In H3 Wait was used in 95% of situations which made combat boring and working on the same damn scheme. In H2 Wait will be available to use in different situations, and sometimes using it will be a bad choice, which makes this feature perfect for tactics.

Quote :
Moreover the longer fight lasts, the bigger is chance of loosing more troops - archers have no penalties for distance and even week wizard can cast lightning bolts one by one killing our best creatures.

But no one stops you from not using Wait with your ground troops and move them like they are Smile Nothing is changed in this case, and that wizard could cast the same lightning bolts without the Wait feature as well. It's on player's decision if he/she wants to wait or try to rush to the shooters.

Mage
Mage
Unknown_Hero

Quality Points : 78
Registration Date : 2015-09-06

PostSubject: Re: "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No?   "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No? Icon_minitime2016-03-28, 10:57

I did not vote.

I am not against, provided that the AI can use it properly, but I also want to be able to play without it (the good old way, so the AI don't uses it (it's easy to the player to just ignore the Wait button)).

So, I vote for "Yes if it's an option", the player must have the choice. Smile
Back to top Go down
Gravorce
Peasant
Peasant
Gravorce

Quality Points : 0
Registration Date : 2016-09-08

PostSubject: Re: "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No?   "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No? Icon_minitime2016-09-08, 07:23

Yes please! i think that would be a great idea Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Baronus
Nomad
Nomad
Baronus

Quality Points : 1
Registration Date : 2016-06-12

PostSubject: Re: "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No?   "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No? Icon_minitime2016-09-10, 19:35

If yes you must give it AI too! Not only human players. If AI cant understand it that will be only cheat.
Back to top Go down
Steven Aus
Elf
Elf
Steven Aus

PostSubject: Re: "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No?   "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No? Icon_minitime2016-09-10, 21:22

AI included - that's what it says in the third post in this thread.
Back to top Go down
Uhm
Vampire
Vampire
Uhm

Quality Points : 477
Registration Date : 2015-07-17

PostSubject: Re: "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No?   "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No? Icon_minitime2016-09-10, 22:18

When I am playing H3, most of the battles with neutrals look like cheating ;P Slow/Speed and running over the battlefiled up and down "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No? 1494329016 .
Well, just see this epic fight from Offline Tournament, that I was playing some time ago Wink (credits to Warzyw):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRhid4Jy1Kk

H2 looks a bit more balanced in this case though. Mass speed/ slow spells are hard to reach and battlefield is much smaller. But I am sure that "wait" would lead to abuses once again.

Well, Roland, it seems I've won our little contest.  But don't worry. Not only have I decided to spare your life, but I am appointing you monarch of the Western Tower.  Perhaps I will come and visit your splendid court, when you are not entertaining important rats and spiders.
Back to top Go down
Sir Albe
Mage
Mage
Sir Albe

PostSubject: Re: "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No?   "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No? Icon_minitime2016-09-10, 22:59

Very interesting video. I have some points though. From what I see this situation could be in H2 as well also without the wait option. It would actually say it is even easier in H2 for a couple of reasons. First, flying units doesn't need to have haste cast on them to reach to other side of the battlefield. Secondly, nuetral stacks always have neutral morale which means they cannot get an extra turn which can break the creeping tactics and thrid the number of neutral stacks is only 5 compared to 7 in H3, although you could say that makes up for it with a larger battlefield. My point is that it is not the wait option that makes this possible. It is things like having powerful spells as haste and slow at such an early level (not to forget the crazy power of mass haste/slow you can get in H3). I would think that the wait option would be a nice addition to H2 so that you wouldn't have to skip the turn of your fastest unit, because you would wait for the enemy to make the first move. I miss that possibility in H2.

Btw. tried with simmilar situation in H2 and it work out pretty smooth.
H2 crepping::
Back to top Go down
Steven Aus
Elf
Elf
Steven Aus

PostSubject: Re: "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No?   "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No? Icon_minitime2016-09-10, 23:14

Occasionally neutrals can get morale in H2, if it is base creature that has an upgrade, and the upgrade is included in the fight. The difference in that respect is that H3 gives a morale bonus if there is only one unit type in the battle, whereas H2 requires at least two aligned unit types (even if one is an upgrade) to get the morale bonus for all being the same town.
Back to top Go down
Sir Albe
Mage
Mage
Sir Albe

PostSubject: Re: "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No?   "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No? Icon_minitime2016-09-10, 23:22

True. I forgot about that Smile
Back to top Go down
Steven Aus
Elf
Elf
Steven Aus

PostSubject: Re: "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No?   "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No? Icon_minitime2016-09-10, 23:26

By the way I know this has been mentioned before, but there is no such thing as "IIX" in roman numerals. It should be "VIII". Mods, is this possible to change?
Back to top Go down
Sir Albe
Mage
Mage
Sir Albe

PostSubject: Re: "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No?   "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No? Icon_minitime2016-09-10, 23:28

I wrote about it in the "User Ranks and Groups" thread, but it hasn't been changed. Also the "titel" is written as "Grand Druid" instead of "Greater Druid".
Back to top Go down
Steven Aus
Elf
Elf
Steven Aus

PostSubject: Re: "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No?   "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No? Icon_minitime2016-09-10, 23:39

Well, just because it wasn't changed then, doesn't mean that it can't be changed now. Mods?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No?   "WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"WAIT" in HoMM2: Yes or No?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next