~ Forums of Enroth ~
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

~ Forums of Enroth ~

The Enroth diehard fan community

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Songs of Silence (HoMM like game)
fheroes2 campaign question/issue Icon_minitimeby Blake01 2024-03-27, 16:52

» Heroes Orchestra's 5th Birthday concerts with Paul Romero
fheroes2 campaign question/issue Icon_minitimeby rrravyn 2024-03-23, 22:45

» WARNING - The dreaded moment is here: Heroes 6 servers shutting down
fheroes2 campaign question/issue Icon_minitimeby Sir Albe 2024-03-22, 07:15

» fheroes2 General Announcements
fheroes2 campaign question/issue Icon_minitimeby sirDranik 2024-03-17, 23:35

» Photo Gallery
fheroes2 campaign question/issue Icon_minitimeby Sir Albe 2024-03-07, 06:57

» Polskie powitanie
fheroes2 campaign question/issue Icon_minitimeby rrravyn 2024-03-05, 04:02

» Heroes II localisation: how to make no-CD patch.
fheroes2 campaign question/issue Icon_minitimeby kiku 2024-02-19, 02:43

Poll
Global announcements should be:
Everlasting, 1 for each project.
fheroes2 campaign question/issue Redbar110%fheroes2 campaign question/issue Redbar12
 0% [ 0 ]
Temporary, when there is something new to announce.
fheroes2 campaign question/issue Redbar11100%fheroes2 campaign question/issue Redbar12
 100% [ 6 ]
Holalala... No idea where the Ultimate artifact is.
fheroes2 campaign question/issue Redbar110%fheroes2 campaign question/issue Redbar12
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6
Most Viewed Topics
H3SW: General Graphics discussion
Ragoon's Graphics For HoMM3SW
Introduce yourself
H3SW General Discussion
H3SW Map List: Work in progress
H3SW: Dwelling Development
Forum Admins Feed
The Floody Land
Enrothian Fan Art
Heroes III: The Succession Wars v0.8.1 Beta

fheroes2 campaign question/issue

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
phamtrinli
Gargoyle
Gargoyle
phamtrinli

Quality Points : 0
Registration Date : 2022-09-16

fheroes2 campaign question/issue Empty
PostSubject: fheroes2 campaign question/issue   fheroes2 campaign question/issue Icon_minitime2022-09-16, 22:39

Does anyone know if fheroes2 changed the difficulty (either intentionally or unintentionally) of any of the price of loyalty campaign maps?

I have been trying to play map 2 of pol campaign in fheroes2, but it seems much, much more difficult than I remember it being in the original heroes 2 game.

For example, by week 2 I am already seeing a half-dozen enemy heroes with armies of lots, lots, lots, pack, horde.

This doesn't seem do-able. Maybe this is an unintentional side-effect of meddling with the AI?

Confirm? Clarify?

**Addendum**

I also noticed that in one of the wizard isles campaign maps there was an issue where an enemy hero with a super powerful starting army would often portal directly to your starting area around turn 6 or 7 and at that point it was basically impossible to win because he would attack you right away and it was pretty much literally impossible to beat that army without cheating. You had to keep reloading until the random teleport network didn't happen to take him directly to your portal next to your castle so you could have enough time to build up a decent army. I can't say I ever played this wizard isle campaign map, originally, but I can't believe this was the way that map was intended to play out originally.
Back to top Go down
Zense
Gargoyle
Gargoyle
Zense

Registration Date : 2022-09-18

PostSubject: Re: fheroes2 campaign question/issue   fheroes2 campaign question/issue Icon_minitime2022-09-18, 07:54

phamtrinli wrote:
Does anyone know if fheroes2 changed the difficulty (either intentionally or unintentionally) of any of the price of loyalty campaign maps?

I have been trying to play map 2 of pol campaign in fheroes2, but it seems much, much more difficult than I remember it being in the original heroes 2 game.

For example, by week 2 I am already seeing a half-dozen enemy heroes with armies of lots, lots, lots, pack, horde.

This doesn't seem do-able. Maybe this is an unintentional side-effect of meddling with the AI?

Confirm? Clarify?

**Addendum**

I also noticed that in one of the wizard isles campaign maps there was an issue where an enemy hero with a super powerful starting army would often portal directly to your starting area around turn 6 or 7 and at that point it was basically impossible to win because he would attack you right away and it was pretty much literally impossible to beat that army without cheating. You had to keep reloading until the random teleport network didn't happen to take him directly to your portal next to your castle so you could have enough time to build up a decent army. I can't say I ever played this wizard isle campaign map, originally, but I can't believe this was the way that map was intended to play out originally.

Hi, phamtrinil!

The AI is completely remade from scratch in fheroes2 since the whole engine is remade, none of the original source code is used. In other words the original AI hasn't been meddled with since it is not even present.

The maps you're mentioning are still beatable by following very specific tactics, basically the same as you would in the original game for the second map of the Price of Loyalty(PoL) campaign: get creatures fast and by the second week you should have gone north and started taking over castles. Use a barbarian hero, so reload until you get that. These are the same steps guides for the original game give. Many of those scenarios were badly designed originally imo and forced you to save and reload to get the better spells etc.

The new AI is better in many places but still needs to be improved. However, the PoL campaign was probably balanced specifically for the often dumb original AI so that any human opponent taking its place would have a ridiculous advantage against you, just take a look at all the resource boosts the AI gets from scripts by opening campaign maps in the editor and you will understand what I'm talking about.

Nevertheless, there are talks about making changes so that the original unfair advantages of the AI are lessened.

BTW the last release made it possible to choose different difficulties for the campaigns so you could try that.

GodRage and Mefista like this post

Back to top Go down
phamtrinli
Gargoyle
Gargoyle
phamtrinli

PostSubject: Re: fheroes2 campaign question/issue   fheroes2 campaign question/issue Icon_minitime2022-09-18, 10:28

Zense wrote:
phamtrinli wrote:

Confirm? Clarify?

**Addendum**

Hi, phamtrinil!

The AI is completely remade from scratch in fheroes2 since the whole engine is remade, none of the original source code is used. In other words the original AI hasn't been meddled with since it is not even present.

The maps you're mentioning are still beatable by following very specific tactics, basically the same as you would in the original game for the second map of the Price of Loyalty(PoL) campaign: get creatures fast and by the second week you should have gone north and started taking over castles. Use a barbarian hero, so reload until you get that. These are the same steps guides for the original game give. Many of those scenarios were badly designed originally imo and forced you to save and reload to get the better spells etc.

The new AI is better in many places but still needs to be improved. However, the PoL campaign was probably balanced specifically for the often dumb original AI so that any human opponent taking its place would have a ridiculous advantage against you, just take a look at all the resource boosts the AI gets from scripts by opening campaign maps in the editor and you will understand what I'm talking about.

Nevertheless, there are talks about making changes so that the original unfair advantages of the AI are lessened.

BTW the last release made it possible to choose different difficulties for the campaigns so you could try that.

I didn't see any option to change difficulty of campaign when I started it (pol)

GodRage likes this post

Back to top Go down
Zense
Gargoyle
Gargoyle
Zense

PostSubject: Re: fheroes2 campaign question/issue   fheroes2 campaign question/issue Icon_minitime2022-09-18, 11:09

Quote :

I didn't see any option to change difficulty of campaign when I started it (pol)

This option was added in the latest release 0.9.19 that came out 6 days ago.

Note that you can only set the difficulty when you start a campaign - it can't be changed later on.

GodRage likes this post

Back to top Go down
phamtrinli
Gargoyle
Gargoyle
phamtrinli

PostSubject: Re: fheroes2 campaign question/issue   fheroes2 campaign question/issue Icon_minitime2022-09-21, 02:46

I updated to the new version, set the campaign difficulty on Easy, then re-tried this map.

Here is the result:

fheroes2 campaign question/issue Fheroes2-pol2-impossible

This is not possible. My 1 army which has all the creatures you can physically possibly get in this amount of time on this map, vs 4 armies (just on this screen) like this?

I say there is something wrong with this campaign map / AI. This is not beatable.

And this was on "Easy"...

And before anyone says "I could beat that" - put your money where your mouth is and upload a yt video of you beating this army of:

35 orcs, 51 archers, 10 orc chiefs, 10 ogre lords and 12 wolves in an enemy hero that has 3 atk, 2 def, 1 sp, 2 knowl

with a hero that has 9 grand elves, 18 battle dwarves, 36 sprites, 6 druids

Heck, I'd even accept a video that just shows you beating this enemy army on turn 13 on this map, with whatever you're able to put together by then without cheating!

GodRage and Zense like this post

Back to top Go down
Zense
Gargoyle
Gargoyle
Zense

PostSubject: Re: fheroes2 campaign question/issue   fheroes2 campaign question/issue Icon_minitime2022-09-21, 04:36

phamtrinli wrote:

This is not possible. My 1 army which has all the creatures you can physically possibly get in this amount of time on this map, vs 4 armies (just on this screen) like this?

I say there is something wrong with this campaign map / AI. This is not beatable.

And this was on "Easy"...

Hi, phamtrinli.

I was actually doing a playthrough of this map, but I encountered a bug with saving in the latest snapshot build of fheroes2 that I was testing. This bug is solved now. (Also I never actually play with saving and reloading but I would say that map can permit it.)

Before uploading any vid I can give some advice already like buying a barbarian hero from the castle to use as your main hero. You need to play quickly so those 3+ in attack are essential. Also I'm suprised you don't have upgraded druids. Make sure to grab gold as the starter bonus and take gold from all chests.

The best strategy for the map I could find is on the mightandmagic fandom page for this specific scenario. I can't post links yet so hopefully you'll be be able to find it. If not I can share some of the points here. Basically, the strategy there is what I've been using to beat the map several times on what is now Normal difficulty.

I believe before I had troubles with the save I was able to capture the red barbarian castle to the north west week 2 day 4 or something, just in time to avoid red player from getting those troops.

The Price of Loyalty campaign is the hardest one I've played and it really requires you to know the intricacies of the game to win, and reloading until you get the right starter hero...
Back to top Go down
phamtrinli
Gargoyle
Gargoyle
phamtrinli

PostSubject: Re: fheroes2 campaign question/issue   fheroes2 campaign question/issue Icon_minitime2022-09-21, 10:16

wow.... wtf

I finally managed to beat it

But the enemy managed to field 97 hydras (among many other things) despite only having 3 warlock castles. I'm not even sure how that's possible unless the AI cheats big-time with unit count / starting unit count on this map!

This map was significantly harder on "Easy" than arteris 2 on Impossible. What the actual fuck??

I guess I'm just lucky I got to them before they started magically producing 14 black dragons per week

The trick that finally got me passed the first hurdle was to forgo getting my 2nd level mage guild and get upgraded druids instead, get the barbarian hero as suggested and just rush north (not picking anything up, not flagging anything) and get to the barbarian castle and stay there for 2 weeks to get the barbarian troops there and smash a couple of their powerful heroes, then take the northern-most barbarian castle right after that. And even after I had a weeks worth of two castles worth of barbarian troops, I was still just narrowly beating each battle, with some very creative tactics...

Mefista and Zense like this post

Back to top Go down
Zense
Gargoyle
Gargoyle
Zense

PostSubject: Re: fheroes2 campaign question/issue   fheroes2 campaign question/issue Icon_minitime2022-09-21, 10:31

phamtrinli wrote:
wow.... wtf

I finally managed to beat it

But the enemy managed to field 97 hydras (among many other things) despite only having 3 warlock castles. I'm not even sure how that's possible unless the AI cheats big-time with unit count / starting unit count on this map!

This map was significantly harder on "Easy" than arteris 2 on Impossible. What the actual fuck??

I guess I'm just lucky I got to them before they started magically producing 14 black dragons per week

Great job! Yes, the AI does indeed cheat in this map. As I said earlier, you can open these campaign maps in the editor and see that the AI gets extra resources and starts with quite powerful armies and heroes. To open them just change the filetype to a normal map type.

There are some other tricky maps later on so don't let your guard down 👍

phamtrinli likes this post

Back to top Go down
phamtrinli
Gargoyle
Gargoyle
phamtrinli

PostSubject: Re: fheroes2 campaign question/issue   fheroes2 campaign question/issue Icon_minitime2022-09-21, 21:58

So I'm 4 more maps into the campaign now and all of them were super easy except this latest one (7)

I ran into multiple armies of 150-200 pikemen and swordsmen, 50+ champions each, 130-200 rangers each and one with 68 crusaders

This is ridiculous
Back to top Go down
Zense
Gargoyle
Gargoyle
Zense

PostSubject: Re: fheroes2 campaign question/issue   fheroes2 campaign question/issue Icon_minitime2022-09-21, 22:38

phamtrinli wrote:
So I'm 4 more maps into the campaign now and all of them were super easy except this latest one (7)

I ran into multiple armies of 150-200 pikemen and swordsmen, 50+ champions each, 130-200 rangers each and one with 68 crusaders

This is ridiculous

Yeah, the 7th mission is infamous for being hard too. There's a very specific way to beat that one too but I can't remember right now.
Back to top Go down
Zense
Gargoyle
Gargoyle
Zense

PostSubject: Re: fheroes2 campaign question/issue   fheroes2 campaign question/issue Icon_minitime2022-10-18, 03:24

phamtrinli wrote:

This is ridiculous

I don't know if you ever managed to beat that scenario but I just found this Youtube channel which manages to beat that campaign. It's in Polish but the solution can still be understood I figure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RCgX4wqSS8&t=1262s&ab_channel=ABlackHorse

Scenario 7 starts around the 3h 11min mark.
Back to top Go down
phamtrinli
Gargoyle
Gargoyle
phamtrinli

PostSubject: Re: fheroes2 campaign question/issue   fheroes2 campaign question/issue Icon_minitime2022-10-18, 08:20

not sure why but the armies he was running into were far FAR weaker than what I was running into (about 1/3 the strength on avg)
Back to top Go down
Zense
Gargoyle
Gargoyle
Zense

PostSubject: Re: fheroes2 campaign question/issue   fheroes2 campaign question/issue Icon_minitime2022-10-18, 08:37

phamtrinli wrote:
not sure why but the armies he was running into were far FAR weaker than what I was running into (about 1/3 the strength on avg)

He seems to be using a build from before the difficulty option was made. From the looks of it he was running the version 0.9.17 from July. The only AI change between those the release you must've been using and the one he used was indeed that the AI champion role was made, which does so that the AI tries to create one very strong hero with more troops instead of spreading the troops among several heroes.

Your assessment of 1/3 of the forces is therefore pretty on spot since the AI usually has 3-4 heroes, so the forces would have been divided between them.

I wonder if this person would have been able to beat that campaign on the very latest release...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: fheroes2 campaign question/issue   fheroes2 campaign question/issue Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

fheroes2 campaign question/issue
Page 1 of 1