~ Forums of Enroth ~
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

~ Forums of Enroth ~

The Enroth diehard fan community

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Songs of Conquest
Favorite units? Icon_minitimeby Blake01 2024-04-07, 15:14

» ...to XP run...
Favorite units? Icon_minitimeby CATMAN 2024-03-30, 03:16

» WARNING - The dreaded moment is here: Heroes 6 servers shutting down
Favorite units? Icon_minitimeby Blake01 2024-03-29, 23:04

» Songs of Silence (HoMM like game)
Favorite units? Icon_minitimeby Blake01 2024-03-27, 16:52

» Heroes Orchestra's 5th Birthday concerts with Paul Romero
Favorite units? Icon_minitimeby rrravyn 2024-03-23, 22:45

» fheroes2 General Announcements
Favorite units? Icon_minitimeby sirDranik 2024-03-17, 23:35

» Photo Gallery
Favorite units? Icon_minitimeby Sir Albe 2024-03-07, 06:57

Poll
Global announcements should be:
Everlasting, 1 for each project.
Favorite units? Redbar110%Favorite units? Redbar12
 0% [ 0 ]
Temporary, when there is something new to announce.
Favorite units? Redbar11100%Favorite units? Redbar12
 100% [ 6 ]
Holalala... No idea where the Ultimate artifact is.
Favorite units? Redbar110%Favorite units? Redbar12
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6
Most Viewed Topics
H3SW: General Graphics discussion
Ragoon's Graphics For HoMM3SW
Introduce yourself
H3SW General Discussion
H3SW Map List: Work in progress
H3SW: Dwelling Development
Forum Admins Feed
The Floody Land
Enrothian Fan Art
Heroes III: The Succession Wars v0.8.1 Beta

Favorite units?

Go down 
+12
evanisdead
Tibor0803
woorkewoorke
GodRage
BlackDragon
PureVodka
Pitsu
Uhm
Orzie
robizeratul
Ragoon
Aescule
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Aescule
Gargoyle
Gargoyle
Aescule

Quality Points : 8
Registration Date : 2017-02-04

Favorite units? Empty
PostSubject: Favorite units?   Favorite units? Icon_minitime2017-02-09, 11:40

What are your favorite units, and why?

It is hard for me to narrow it down to a specific one, although I have been enjoying the War Trolls and the Ogre Lords; War Trolls for their range / dmg, and the Ogre Lords for their sheer endurance / dmg. The whole Barbarian camp I like, especially the aforementioned units and the wolves. The Cyclops, while durable enough, becomes pretty useless against a seasoned spellcaster.

As awesome as all of the units are (except for the Peasant!), Titans and Black Dragons are obviously the powerhouses of the bunch, but I can't really say that they are my favorite, although I am in awe of their power and always love having them on my side.

I could go on, but I would love to hear what others say.
Back to top Go down
Ragoon
Minotaur
Minotaur
Ragoon

Quality Points : 350
Registration Date : 2016-05-30

Favorite units? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite units?   Favorite units? Icon_minitime2017-02-09, 11:55

Peasants will have 4 speed in H3SW, so maybe they'll be less useless Very Happy

As for me:
Ogre lords, tanky, hard hitting slow unit, they seem very powerfull without being op because of their low speed

Knights, pretty same, but more on the mobility side at the cost of durability. They're beasts with speel assistance.

Skeletons, bunch of those can rekt almost everything and they replenish fast.

Grand elves, the best machine gun in the game Very Happy

And as for the less favourite:
Peasant, because yes

Archers - too low hp, they die faster than they kill, especially to flying units

Liches - same, good thing that upgrade fixes it
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/ragoon97
Aescule
Gargoyle
Gargoyle
Aescule

Favorite units? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite units?   Favorite units? Icon_minitime2017-02-09, 12:18

It'll be great to see the Peasants with some boosted stats! I find myself in awe when I can honestly say "Wow, the Peasants contributed!"

I agree wholeheartedly on the Ogre Lords, as well as Skeletons! I was playing Plains of Aekon once, and I managed to amass a squadron of 4000+. This was the most I had ever had, although I am sure that that is nothing compared to what some players have had. With Expert Necromancy + Spire + Spade of Necromancy, that equals a 50% return rate!

Grand Elves are exceptional archers as well. I always loved the two-shot combo; definitely another one of my faves.
Back to top Go down
robizeratul
Elf
Elf
robizeratul

Quality Points : 32
Registration Date : 2015-07-01

Favorite units? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite units?   Favorite units? Icon_minitime2017-02-09, 12:40

I like the lich most, such a cool unit!

Also black dragons, they look damn dangerous!

Ps: where did u get those fancy robes Aescule? Have more graphics of that?
Back to top Go down
Aescule
Gargoyle
Gargoyle
Aescule

Favorite units? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite units?   Favorite units? Icon_minitime2017-02-09, 12:57

robizeratul wrote:

Ps: where did u get those fancy robes Aescule? Have more graphics of that?

https://2img.net/h/i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y382/Josh_Fuller/purple%20mage%20recolor_zpse5ukb2zo.png

Does this link work for you? It links to a frame by frame sprite rip that I recolored in GIMP.
Back to top Go down
Orzie
Master Modder
Master Modder
Orzie

Quality Points : 843
Registration Date : 2014-12-12

Favorite units? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite units?   Favorite units? Icon_minitime2017-02-09, 17:37

My favorites have been always the Crusaders and the Phoenixes due to the clearly successful exterior design. These creatures, in my opinion, are looking the best of Heroes 2 ever. Yet, according to the development history of Heroes 2, both were subjected to a lot of treatment and redesign efforts Smile

Recently I started feeling that I love every Heroes 2 creature though. But that concerns only the visuals, of course. That's why I'm so happy about H3SW's new Lizardman and some other successful designs which will contribute to the variety without the obvious loss of quality.

In terms of gameplay and stats, I often liked Ogre Lords and Hydras, because they were bulky and diehard all the way. It was always annoying to fight these creatures, too.

In terms of effective gameplay, Gargoyles rule it all due to the starting speed allowing the Warlocks to be the fastest. This often helps in solving many offline tournament problems. Smile
Back to top Go down
Ragoon
Minotaur
Minotaur
Ragoon

Favorite units? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite units?   Favorite units? Icon_minitime2017-02-09, 19:20

Offtopic - robizeratul, Aescule or anyone else, if you wish to have an avatar like that with any other creature etc, maybe different weapon or color or sth then let me know, we can work something out Wink
Back to top Go down
Aescule
Gargoyle
Gargoyle
Aescule

Favorite units? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite units?   Favorite units? Icon_minitime2017-02-10, 08:23

Ragoon wrote:
Offtopic - robizeratul, Aescule or anyone else, if you wish to have an avatar like that with any other creature etc, maybe different weapon or color or sth then let me know, we can work something out Wink

That's very generous of you Ragoon. I have had some ideas recently that I would like to see happen. One in particular was a mummy that had golden headpieces and bracers, much like a pharaoh would. Imagine that!
Back to top Go down
Ragoon
Minotaur
Minotaur
Ragoon

Favorite units? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite units?   Favorite units? Icon_minitime2017-02-10, 08:48

More complicated things like that will have to wait till beta release :p
Back to top Go down
Aescule
Gargoyle
Gargoyle
Aescule

Favorite units? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite units?   Favorite units? Icon_minitime2017-02-10, 08:53

Ragoon wrote:
More complicated things like that will have to wait till beta release :p

Understandable. I think I will have to take a crack at it myself. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Uhm
Vampire
Vampire
Uhm

Quality Points : 477
Registration Date : 2015-07-17

Favorite units? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite units?   Favorite units? Icon_minitime2017-02-10, 10:53

1. Peasant Favorite units? 2551314513 This man is simply iconic. Ruthless warrior, not scared of fighting with all kinds of terrible, magical abominations, often hundred times stronger than him. Remembers better times, when nobody heard about "balance" Favorite units? 164851012 Hated by many, loved by Necromacers.

2. Orc. The only true piggy-like Orc in a whole universe, not like those smelly green things from Krewlod. Nor from Middle-earth Razz

3. Paladin. KLANG KLANG KLANG KLANG Chop. Chop. No less, no more.

4. Black Dragons. Back in the days, when life was easier and treasure chests always gave 2000 gold, you only had to know this short spell to conquer all the striked lands: 32167. Why we have stopped calling for help our winged allies, always ready to fight under our colours? It's completely unclear to me.
Back to top Go down
Aescule
Gargoyle
Gargoyle
Aescule

Favorite units? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite units?   Favorite units? Icon_minitime2017-02-10, 17:16

Uhm wrote:
1. Peasant Favorite units? 2551314513 This man is simply iconic. Ruthless warrior, not scared of fighting with all kinds of terrible, magical abominations, often hundred times stronger than him. Remembers better times, when nobody heard about "balance" Favorite units? 164851012 Hated by many, loved by Necromacers.

2. Orc. The only true piggy-like Orc in a whole universe, not like those smelly green things from Krewlod. Nor from Middle-earth Razz

4. Black Dragons. Back in the days, when life was easier and treasure chests always gave 2000 gold, you only had to know this short spell to conquer all the striked lands: 32167. Why we have stopped calling for help our winged allies, always ready to fight under our colours? It's completely unclear to me.

This is a response for the ages lol!
Back to top Go down
Pitsu
Pikeman
Pikeman
Pitsu

Registration Date : 2015-08-02

Favorite units? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite units?   Favorite units? Icon_minitime2017-02-12, 07:41

Favourite unit? Titans of course :p Then there is the phoenix who look so damn hot and ghosts and genies who add spice to the game with their unusual specials. From the common folk I kind of like rangers. Rangers do have damage output of elves and althoug less durable come in greater numbers. Their main problem is bad company: other knight troops are often incapable to draw fire or block enemy shooters/flyers fast enough.
Back to top Go down
PureVodka
Peasant
Peasant
PureVodka

Quality Points : 0
Registration Date : 2017-02-12

Favorite units? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite units?   Favorite units? Icon_minitime2017-02-13, 11:10

I always loved the Black Dragons as a kid I always played warlock just for them (Although I was too young to understand anything so I just spammed cheats). These days I still think they have the best artwork (The Paladins and Crusaders come very close) but I just feel bad playing Warlock just because you get a few BDs -> END.
Back to top Go down
Uhm
Vampire
Vampire
Uhm

Favorite units? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite units?   Favorite units? Icon_minitime2017-02-13, 11:54

@PureVodka That's why I love to play against black dragons. Preferably Knights. It's not only about increasing computer chances for win, but primarily the entire game turns into a chivalrous dragon hunting. Heroic struggle against pure evil, which harass my kingdom Laughing

@Pitsu Boooo, Titans go home Razz For some reason I don't like to play them. I never have gold to buy them and most of the time I am running with unapgraded version. Also, cowardly standing behind lines and decimating my troops with thunder bolts feels wrong Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
BlackDragon
Gargoyle
Gargoyle
BlackDragon

Quality Points : 4
Registration Date : 2016-09-04

Favorite units? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite units?   Favorite units? Icon_minitime2017-02-13, 18:42

Black Dragon.

HoMM2 is a virtual & perfect game in some ways.
Here you must just let your hand&mind freely play.
You play what do you want. There is no why.

But if people are still affraid of a such word even in a old little virtual game mostly played by purists...
I would say your mind is trapped everywhere, not only watching if Black Dragon is belonging to Warlock or Wizard but in the worst of the cases, its statistics too. That's sad. You maybe need such things for other things than in HoMM2 but here, it's only about HoMM2, but oh well, that's just my 2 cents.
Back to top Go down
Pitsu
Pikeman
Pikeman
Pitsu

Favorite units? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite units?   Favorite units? Icon_minitime2017-02-14, 03:51

Uhm wrote:

@Pitsu Boooo, Titans go home Razz For some reason I don't like to play them. I never have gold to buy them and most of the time I am running with unapgraded version. Also, cowardly standing behind lines and decimating my troops with thunder bolts feels wrong Evil or Very Mad

Why I like them, is because in first H2 playthroughs when still learning, I expected dragons to be way above anyone else and mostly estimated the strength of other units correctly. After having played a large map (perhaps broken alliance?) for a while I got over confident and believed that the map is already won. Then the titans appeared and gave me a hard lesson. Dunno if I finally won the map or not, but for that lesson I like them. Maybe they are cowards, but "there is no shame in living another day" or how was the quote in MM6 when talking about fleeing from a battle. A more serious reputation damage is that titans are claimed to preferrably beat up female characters (MM6), which is not really a behaviour I appreciate. But if you have problems with titans decimating your troops, then do not worry, once you learn to play the game, such situation rarely happens as the game is over before they come into play. Razz
Back to top Go down
Orzie
Master Modder
Master Modder
Orzie

Favorite units? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite units?   Favorite units? Icon_minitime2017-02-14, 04:47

Quote :
A more serious reputation damage is that titans are claimed to preferrably beat up female characters (MM6), which is not really a behaviour I appreciate.
That fact is more likely due to the lower Armor Class on your female characters in MM6 as well as their classes which are in fact more valuable (and thus prioritized for killing) than straightforward tanky Knights Smile
Back to top Go down
Pitsu
Pikeman
Pikeman
Pitsu

Favorite units? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite units?   Favorite units? Icon_minitime2017-02-14, 05:23

IIRC in some early MM games there were more serious race and gender effects in certain locations but the most wellknown in newer ames is probably Harmondale goblins targeting dwarves. But there are more (elven characters in Erathia who is at war with Avlee?). I do have a vague memory that titans targeting females was one of such undocumented hates, but i have not really tested it in game or checked the game sources.
Back to top Go down
Orzie
Master Modder
Master Modder
Orzie

Favorite units? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite units?   Favorite units? Icon_minitime2017-02-14, 05:25

This actually can be elaborated someday, if I will find time/inspiration to ask dudes on mm6world.ru Smile Yet, still no guarantees. The behavior of AI is much better known for Heroes 1-3 series thanks to a bigger amount of skilled enthusiasts.
Back to top Go down
Uhm
Vampire
Vampire
Uhm

Favorite units? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite units?   Favorite units? Icon_minitime2017-02-14, 07:46

Pitsu wrote:
Maybe they are cowards, but "there is no shame in living another day" or how was the quote in MM6 when talking about fleeing from a battle.

Just kidding Razz Still, fighting against them requires travelling to the another side of battlefield and unlike other shooters, they don't undergo easily  Sad (or  Cool  when you're commanding them). Whenever I start a map, Wizards are the biggest problem in the late game. Maybe I am too often playing Archibald's campaign Laughing

I've just made a quick test on Hermit's Isle. I didn't noticed excessive agression towards women Razz Sometimes first was dying my male Warrior Mage, sometimes my female Hero. Titans are for equality Favorite units? 1494329016
Back to top Go down
Aescule
Gargoyle
Gargoyle
Aescule

Favorite units? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite units?   Favorite units? Icon_minitime2017-02-14, 08:54

Well, Titans can certainly be debated. A recent foray into Broken Alliance the other day could have gone either way. Yet, capturing an enemies' castle and finding 30 Titans available for hire quickly cast them in a favorable light! lol!
Back to top Go down
GodRage
Webmaster
Webmaster
GodRage

Quality Points : 228
Registration Date : 2009-09-21

Favorite units? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite units?   Favorite units? Icon_minitime2017-02-15, 22:37

Uhm wrote:
Favorite units? 589285140 Favorite units? 589285140 Favorite units? 589285140 I love this one. Favorite units? 589285140

The laser of cyclops has also a good sound. Smile
Also does ... Phenix's death, Coloured Dragon's breath, Wolves (all), Genies attack, Bandit's steps ... Sounds as great. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://homm2.free.fr
woorkewoorke
Peasant
Peasant
woorkewoorke

Quality Points : 1
Registration Date : 2017-04-06

Favorite units? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite units?   Favorite units? Icon_minitime2017-04-06, 04:17

Favorite units? Oh god, I love almost all the units in HoMM2!! (from a stylistic and charm perspective). If I had to choose, my childhood heart would say MAGI and ARCHMAGI! Special shout-out to the Crusader and Paladin's clanking armor, the classic 'blahh!' of the vampire, and the Red Dragon's overall affect.

From the opposite perspective, nomads never did it for me. For some reason they seem like a charmless, modded add-on. I would have far preferred some scimitar-wielding Mongol or camel-riding Bedouin rather than the culturally ambiguous Nomad of the game, who despite looking strong also crumbles in combat.
Back to top Go down
Tibor0803
Nomad
Nomad
Tibor0803

Quality Points : 21
Registration Date : 2015-08-09

Favorite units? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite units?   Favorite units? Icon_minitime2019-01-27, 07:22

In Knight, there's no one.

In Barbarian, Wolves. Just having them alone early is also a great upside besides attacking twice, because wolves help your hero to discover your surroundings faster thanks to the increased mobility. Orcs slowing you down and Heroes 2 is already well-known about poor mobility with the hero you have compare to Heroes 3.

In Sorceress, Grand Elves. Best snipers in the game. It worth to start as Knight or Barbarian and wait for the Diplomacy Skill and high amount of gold. There's a 75% chance they offer their alliance to you and help you in pesky battles. Best possible replacement of Archers and Orcs in a Knight and Barbarian army, in fact, can be a great game changer.

In Warlock, Hydras. Apperently cheap compare to it's power. All you need is rich environment, a 3 turret castle and by any chance, having an Anti-Magic Spell on level 3 of your guild. Place him inside a town with a great high spell power hero, cast Anti-Magic on him and see what happens. Defend a Knight Town with fortifications is twice as strong. In high numbers, with his abilities are devastating. Saved my life many times in the game.

In Wizard, there's no one.

In Necromancer, Vampire Lords. They are expensive, but for obvious reasons, this is the only downside of them. As long as you are in a rich territory, filled with precious gold and treasure chests, the best way to get him is to save up money, collect a lot of them and buy out having them as the only one type of creatures in a battle as a Necromancer with lot of Skeletons. At the case of a Barbarian, you better have Steel Skin or Bloodlust. At the case of Warlock, you better have Death Wave or Animate Dead. They are pretty much welcome in the army of a great morale hero.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Favorite units? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite units?   Favorite units? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favorite units?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next