~ Forums of Enroth ~
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

~ Forums of Enroth ~

The Enroth diehard fan community

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Songs of Conquest
Modding Questions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeby Blake01 2024-04-07, 15:14

» ...to XP run...
Modding Questions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeby CATMAN 2024-03-30, 03:16

» WARNING - The dreaded moment is here: Heroes 6 servers shutting down
Modding Questions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeby Blake01 2024-03-29, 23:04

» Songs of Silence (HoMM like game)
Modding Questions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeby Blake01 2024-03-27, 16:52

» Heroes Orchestra's 5th Birthday concerts with Paul Romero
Modding Questions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeby rrravyn 2024-03-23, 22:45

» fheroes2 General Announcements
Modding Questions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeby sirDranik 2024-03-17, 23:35

» Photo Gallery
Modding Questions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeby Sir Albe 2024-03-07, 06:57

Poll
Global announcements should be:
Everlasting, 1 for each project.
Modding Questions - Page 2 Redbar110%Modding Questions - Page 2 Redbar12
 0% [ 0 ]
Temporary, when there is something new to announce.
Modding Questions - Page 2 Redbar11100%Modding Questions - Page 2 Redbar12
 100% [ 6 ]
Holalala... No idea where the Ultimate artifact is.
Modding Questions - Page 2 Redbar110%Modding Questions - Page 2 Redbar12
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6
Most Viewed Topics
H3SW: General Graphics discussion
Ragoon's Graphics For HoMM3SW
Introduce yourself
H3SW General Discussion
H3SW Map List: Work in progress
H3SW: Dwelling Development
Forum Admins Feed
The Floody Land
Enrothian Fan Art
Heroes III: The Succession Wars v0.8.1 Beta

Modding Questions

Go down 
+8
Arstahd
Daleron
Baronus
rafter
robizeratul
Darmani
GodRage
Orzie
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
GodRage
Webmaster
Webmaster
GodRage

Quality Points : 228
Registration Date : 2009-09-21

Modding Questions - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modding Questions   Modding Questions - Page 2 Icon_minitime2017-01-03, 00:15

rafter wrote:
Thank you GodRage. Smile That program may change the names in the game. But how  can I change the numbers in the game with that program ? I can not see any stat of creature with it. Question
Each creature will follow this order:
Code:
bytes    description
-----    -----------
0-1      cost in gold
2-6      ???
7        base growth per week
8-9      heal points (Résistance)
10       alignement[1]
11       speed
12       attaque
13       défense
14       dégâts minimaux
15       dégâts maximaux
16       Shoots (if ranged)
17-21    4-character ID string, plus null char
22       attack-type flags[2]
23       other flags[3]
24-25    padding (all bits zero)

[1] Alignement (case 10)
00 = Knight
01 = Barbarian
02 = Sorceress
03 = Warlock
04 = Wizard
05 = Nécromant
06 = neutrals

So...
in the left part (hexa decimal one),
the unicorn stats should start like that:
01 F4 00 00 00 00 02 40 02 5 0A 09 07 0E 00
I am not sure for the 00 00 00 00 and it may vary on each version of the game.
So, better so search (Ctrl F or Ctrl G... by memory) with values from the growing one: 02 40 02 5 0A 09 07 0E 00
And if you entered the right values, it will find only 1 result in your h2w.exe file. Smile

That's how you can find values of each things in the game. Smile
And so, if you ant to find the price of the magic guild, easiest way is to search for the lvl5: 0A 0A 0A 0A or maybe it will me 00 0A 00 0A 00 0A 00 0A.
0A means 10, so it's the price of each rare resource needed to build it, and it's the only building needing 10 of each. Smile

Decimal / Hexadecimal convertor :
http://www.binaryhexconverter.com/decimal-to-hex-converter

Stats of creatures :
http://homm2.free.fr/enroth.php?p=sorc&go=en
Back to top Go down
http://homm2.free.fr
Baronus
Nomad
Nomad
Baronus

Quality Points : 1
Registration Date : 2016-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Modding Questions   Modding Questions - Page 2 Icon_minitime2017-01-05, 19:07

In Heroes II you have names in exe eg. peasant. Its easy to find. But you can search statistis too. 0205030203 archer stats speed 2 etc. Buildings you can find using resources 0a000000050000 big numbers of 0000 and gold cost near. The same city buildings are one by one. Common buildins are before cities.
Back to top Go down
Orzie
Master Modder
Master Modder
Orzie

Quality Points : 843
Registration Date : 2014-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Modding Questions   Modding Questions - Page 2 Icon_minitime2017-01-30, 03:10

For those who wanted a tool for changing creature stats:

AlexSpl's Universal Balance Patcher for HoMM2 GoG Version
Back to top Go down
Baronus
Nomad
Nomad
Baronus

PostSubject: Re: Modding Questions   Modding Questions - Page 2 Icon_minitime2017-01-31, 08:04

Working for heroes2w eng original too! I tested it. Very powerfull tool and easy to use! Beautyfully! :-)
Back to top Go down
Daleron
Pikeman
Pikeman
Daleron

Quality Points : 13
Registration Date : 2016-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Modding Questions   Modding Questions - Page 2 Icon_minitime2017-08-29, 05:58

Could you please give me a rundown on the Iimtations of the sprites? Do I have to work in a certain box of pixels? (I have got time in my line of work nowadays.)
Back to top Go down
robizeratul
Elf
Elf
robizeratul

Quality Points : 32
Registration Date : 2015-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Modding Questions   Modding Questions - Page 2 Icon_minitime2017-08-29, 11:33

Do you want to make new creatures and stuff like that? Or other things?
Back to top Go down
Arstahd
Skeleton
Skeleton
Arstahd

Quality Points : 9
Registration Date : 2017-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Modding Questions   Modding Questions - Page 2 Icon_minitime2017-08-29, 12:46

After many years, I've found myself back to playing HoMM2, the game that started it all for me. I had done some fairly extensive modding work with 3 and 5 and now I have delved into modding 2.

Armed with a hex editor and some research, I've managed to tweak creature stats, building costs, and spell availability, fixing much of what I didn't like in the vanilla game. Unfortunately, (and unsurprisingly) there are still plenty of things that I haven't been able to edit. I then stumbled upon this site and found out that something like the Ironfist project exists. Seems that there are still people working on modding HoMM2. Maybe the knowledge that I've been looking for has already been discovered.

That said, there are a number of things I'd like to know if are possible via hex editing the exe.

1) The bonus creature growth given by a Well. I'd like to change this to 1, or possibly even scale according to creature level.

2) Building prerequisite tree. Is it possible to change a building's requirements?

3) Creature special abilities, (other than the few handled by the flags in the unit stats entry).

4) Swapping creatures between towns.

5) Editing artifact abilities.

Back to top Go down
Daleron
Pikeman
Pikeman
Daleron

Quality Points : 13
Registration Date : 2016-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Modding Questions   Modding Questions - Page 2 Icon_minitime2017-08-29, 17:53

robizeratul wrote:
Do you want to make new creatures and stuff like that? Or other things?

Indeed, i would like to give a go at units, be it stationary map or battle versions later with their phases.
I got the palett and i got the tool, but i still need to do some research on the required sizes. If there isn't much need for that, which i understand as there are already talented and experienced fellows in the group to do that, i will give a go to item and map object images.
I have some ideas though. For example i would like make a WBC stile Dark Elf Assassin unit. Since i met them i always had them in my mind as the type of assassins Archibald would use. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
robizeratul
Elf
Elf
robizeratul

PostSubject: Re: Modding Questions   Modding Questions - Page 2 Icon_minitime2017-08-30, 21:55

Things are going slow right now, I remember when each day I could look at new stuff!

You can extract other creatures and calculate how tall they are. That way you get an idea. They are sone modding guides arround here, you can find good stuff with patience.

As for what you could do, just do it! Do your best! If it doesnt fit the game or whatever reason it may be, you could always add it on with the bonus mod feature Orzie was talking about
Back to top Go down
Arstahd
Skeleton
Skeleton
Arstahd

PostSubject: Re: Modding Questions   Modding Questions - Page 2 Icon_minitime2017-09-07, 17:24

Continuing to dig around for info, I came across some links to a decompiled heroes2.exe, unfortunately, all dead/broken.

Is this information still available somewhere? Any help in this regard would be much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
GodRage
Webmaster
Webmaster
GodRage

PostSubject: Re: Modding Questions   Modding Questions - Page 2 Icon_minitime2017-09-11, 01:22

I don't remember (because it's years I didn't hexadecimed H2 Very Happy), but for each buildings is there spare data?
I mean, not 00 and not values of building price.
If there is, you must try to change some values by yourself and check ingame what changed..
For the building theses values could be: building ID (for images), building prerequisite, next building ID (if upgradable), the ID of the effect (ID of a creature, open market, open well, etc).

But it's just my guess... All the hexa knowledge we have is mainly made by self-discoveries: get something to find and search for it. Smile

Last edited by GodRage on 2020-02-11, 07:25; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Arstahd
Skeleton
Skeleton
Arstahd

PostSubject: Re: Modding Questions   Modding Questions - Page 2 Icon_minitime2017-09-11, 06:32

The data tables that I'm aware of for buildings only contain materials costs, listed back to back, without even padding bytes between one and the next.  I've compiled all the data that I've been able to ferret out into an Excell sheet.  All the offsets and relevant bytes listed for the GoG edition.

Homm2 data sheet
Back to top Go down
GodRage
Webmaster
Webmaster
GodRage

PostSubject: Re: Modding Questions   Modding Questions - Page 2 Icon_minitime2017-09-16, 00:30

Then the "architecture building order" is somewhere else... Sad+,+):
It may be difficult to find it with only watching the hexa. I don't know about decompilation and so, but, buildings order and "what creature on what building" should be before or after the building section in the .exe? confused
Back to top Go down
Arstahd
Skeleton
Skeleton
Arstahd

PostSubject: Re: Modding Questions   Modding Questions - Page 2 Icon_minitime2017-10-07, 19:04

I've continued to chip away at the EXE and have made some useful discoveries.  Highlights include: Hero starting troops, Estates gold , Pathfinding bonus, Scouting radius, Hero XP table, starting resources, town captain stats.  Tonight I knocked off one of the items from my list, town dwelling creature assignments!

EDIT:

Found dwelling prerequisites, another one off my to do list. It's been a productive couple of nights Smile
Back to top Go down
Arstahd
Skeleton
Skeleton
Arstahd

PostSubject: Re: Modding Questions   Modding Questions - Page 2 Icon_minitime2017-10-09, 11:48

OK, I've got another question.  

Is there any information out there on adjusting the frame settings for a creature animation?  I'm trying to clone a recolored creature animation to a creature that has a different frame setup.  I think in H3 all that info was packed into the creature animation  (.DEF file) but that doesn't seem to be the case here.  Does anyone have any clues on what I should look for in the .EXE?

EDIT: Never mind, I figured it out. I found that packed along with the .ICN files in the .AGG there are corresponding .BIN files that define the frame setup. Cloning the .BIN so that it matches with the cloned .ICN fixed my problem.
Back to top Go down
Orzie
Master Modder
Master Modder
Orzie

Quality Points : 843
Registration Date : 2014-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Modding Questions   Modding Questions - Page 2 Icon_minitime2017-10-11, 17:55

Thanks for the info. Yes, it's rather easy to add frames; the need in reducing the number of frames for an existing creature may result in more complex issues.

For Heroes 3, the sprites are much easier to handle.
Back to top Go down
GodRage
Webmaster
Webmaster
GodRage

PostSubject: Re: Modding Questions   Modding Questions - Page 2 Icon_minitime2017-10-12, 18:32

Arstahd wrote:
I've continued to chip away at the EXE and have made some useful discoveries.
[...]
It's been a productive couple of nights Smile
Positive moral Heroes Arstahd got 7550 XP. (level +1) Positive moral

You have now certainly more knowledge than me in HEXediting Heroes2w.exe!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Arstahd
Skeleton
Skeleton
Arstahd

PostSubject: Re: Modding Questions   Modding Questions - Page 2 Icon_minitime2018-01-11, 17:48

I haven't messed with H2 for a few months now, but since I saw that someone else was asking about modding the GoG edition .EXE, I figured that I might as well upload the most current version of my data sheet.  It should have all the offsets for the discoveries I listed earlier along with any other insights I came up with.

Homm2 data sheet  ver2
Back to top Go down
Roa
Peasant
Peasant
Roa

Registration Date : 2018-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Modding Questions   Modding Questions - Page 2 Icon_minitime2018-11-24, 05:04

Alright, here's a question that's been bothering me for quite a while now:
Does anyone know where the spell damage multipliers are stored? Those clearly aren't where most of the spell data is (cost, anim, icon, etc.), and I'd like to make some adjustments to Cold Ring/Fireball/Death/Holy spells, for instance. I've been browsing through offsets for days, but to no avail.
I'm running the GOG DOS version, but if anyone knows the address(es) for the windows version, that'd be more than enough. It'd be easy to find it in the DOS version once one realizes how the data is structured.
Back to top Go down
Arstahd
Skeleton
Skeleton
Arstahd

PostSubject: Re: Modding Questions   Modding Questions - Page 2 Icon_minitime2018-11-25, 18:53

Here's a link to an old H2 modding thread on Celestial Heavens LINK

The damage calculations for Fireball, Cold Ring and Fireblast were discovered for the windows version of H2.  I had tried to find the equivalent code for the DOS (GoG) version but was unsuccessful. Maybe you'll have better luck.
Back to top Go down
MetalMachine
Peasant
Peasant
MetalMachine

Quality Points : 0
Registration Date : 2022-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Modding Questions   Modding Questions - Page 2 Icon_minitime2022-01-26, 07:30

Hello,
I have a question (hope in good topic) - there is a unit stat editor for fheroes2 like Universal Balance Patcher for Heroes 2? Thanks in advance for help Smile
Back to top Go down
IamChiku
Peasant
Peasant
IamChiku

Quality Points : 0
Registration Date : 2022-08-01

PostSubject: Re: Modding Questions   Modding Questions - Page 2 Icon_minitime2022-08-07, 08:55

MetalMachine wrote:
Hello,
I have a question (hope in good topic) - there is a unit stat editor for fheroes2 like Universal Balance Patcher for Heroes 2? Thanks in advance for help Smile
If you scroll up a bit I believe there is one already posted.

New Question tho, is there a way to change or add portraits of heroes? I'd like to make my own XD
Back to top Go down
GodRage
Webmaster
Webmaster
GodRage

PostSubject: Re: Modding Questions   Modding Questions - Page 2 Icon_minitime2022-08-09, 12:48

IamChiku wrote:
New Question tho, is there a way to change or add portraits of heroes? I'd like to make my own XD
I would say you have to replace a portrait to add a new one, if you mod the original game. ^^
Back to top Go down
Baronus
Nomad
Nomad
Baronus

PostSubject: Re: Modding Questions   Modding Questions - Page 2 Icon_minitime2023-07-19, 03:36

I need info about growth 2 and 8 well and horde. City income 250 1000 250 will be good too. If anyone knows...
Back to top Go down
robizeratul
Elf
Elf
robizeratul

PostSubject: Re: Modding Questions   Modding Questions - Page 2 Icon_minitime2023-08-05, 05:12

Does anyone know what upgrades/buildings where removed/added from the 0.82 version map editor?

I started playing an old map I made...and just saw in the map editor an "X" "centaur upgrade". Is there a comprehensive changelog anywhere?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Modding Questions   Modding Questions - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Modding Questions
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next