~ Forums of Enroth ~
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

~ Forums of Enroth ~

The Enroth diehard fan community

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Songs of Conquest
Knight Faction Lineup Icon_minitimeby Blake01 2024-04-07, 15:14

» ...to XP run...
Knight Faction Lineup Icon_minitimeby CATMAN 2024-03-30, 03:16

» WARNING - The dreaded moment is here: Heroes 6 servers shutting down
Knight Faction Lineup Icon_minitimeby Blake01 2024-03-29, 23:04

» Songs of Silence (HoMM like game)
Knight Faction Lineup Icon_minitimeby Blake01 2024-03-27, 16:52

» Heroes Orchestra's 5th Birthday concerts with Paul Romero
Knight Faction Lineup Icon_minitimeby rrravyn 2024-03-23, 22:45

» fheroes2 General Announcements
Knight Faction Lineup Icon_minitimeby sirDranik 2024-03-17, 23:35

» Photo Gallery
Knight Faction Lineup Icon_minitimeby Sir Albe 2024-03-07, 06:57

Poll
Global announcements should be:
Everlasting, 1 for each project.
Knight Faction Lineup Redbar110%Knight Faction Lineup Redbar12
 0% [ 0 ]
Temporary, when there is something new to announce.
Knight Faction Lineup Redbar11100%Knight Faction Lineup Redbar12
 100% [ 6 ]
Holalala... No idea where the Ultimate artifact is.
Knight Faction Lineup Redbar110%Knight Faction Lineup Redbar12
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6
Most Viewed Topics
H3SW: General Graphics discussion
Ragoon's Graphics For HoMM3SW
Introduce yourself
H3SW General Discussion
H3SW Map List: Work in progress
H3SW: Dwelling Development
Forum Admins Feed
The Floody Land
Enrothian Fan Art
Heroes III: The Succession Wars v0.8.1 Beta

Knight Faction Lineup

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
norQ
Skeleton
Skeleton
norQ

Quality Points : 0
Registration Date : 2019-01-26

Knight Faction Lineup Empty
PostSubject: Knight Faction Lineup   Knight Faction Lineup Icon_minitime2019-01-26, 20:55

Hello,

While searching through the forums, I have bumped into this particular topic. It concerns the upgrades for the existing factions:

https://heroes2.forumactif.com/t142-h3sw-upgrade-system

In discussion connected with the Knight, there are posts voicing the possibility of introducing Monk and Angels (flyer problem) as base units representing the Castle.

While I understand that you don't want to overflow the game with robe-wearing creatures and get that Druids already exist, there's also another line of argumentation that I cannot grasp.

Orzie argues that the 'religious theme' doesn't quite work with the faction as it is based on the fantasy of Anglo-Saxons or German medievalism. I would dispute that this is exactly why it should work. Religion (namely Catholicism) was a strong, prevalent force back then. Both Anglo-Saxons and Germans were Catholics up to the point of the reformation.

Don't take it as a form of criticism; this is just my reflection based on what I've read in the topic that I linked above.

PS. I haven't played any Heroes game for literally years and H3:SW brought me back to the series and the glorious days of the one and only H2. Thank you. :-)

Back to top Go down
Orzie
Master Modder
Master Modder
Orzie

Quality Points : 843
Registration Date : 2014-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Knight Faction Lineup   Knight Faction Lineup Icon_minitime2019-01-27, 08:05

Quote :
Religion (namely Catholicism) was a strong, prevalent force back then. Both Anglo-Saxons and Germans were Catholics up to the point of the reformation.
So that is why the Temple map object has a typical Greek shape. Smile

You should take a look on the very image of Heroes 2 Knight. In this particular game, this faction is portrayed as a typical feudal lord, and this is even somehow described in the campaigns. This reason is already enough to discard Angels because Angels cannot serve a typical feudal lord. But I will also add the fact that the imagery of Angels was not added to the game deliberately. If you look at the Cathedral, it has a cross, but it does not even have an Angel depiction on a stained glass window, having a horse there instead. For real Middle Ages, this would be at least atypical. This hints that NWC probably did not even consider adding any divine creatures to a faction which was composed of mere humans, as opposed to mere beasts of spellcaster factions and to bipedal nomadic creatures of the Barbarian.

If we address to Heroes 3 Castle, this is a completely different story. There, the Castle faction is an image of the whole nation: the country of Erathia, which is depicted in the game as the "bastion of good" and modeled over Renaissance concepts. The Angels/Archangels there are depicted as the ace card of the army, and not servants of anyone, but the defenders of humanity instead. Their exterior is modeled over Renaissance statues  with lots of detail and them curly hairs. With the presence of the whole Inferno faction composed of devils, all of this seems to be logical enough.

So, what is important is the whole image of a faction in the game, and not some particular historical moments like some guys try to point at. NWC were not making a game of historical precision, they were making a fantasy game. We are making the game more or less in the framework of NWC's concept. The exceptions were described in the designer's notes.

--

The Monks were once discussed, but like I said earlier, the H2 Druids are an absolute duplicate of them, and obviously this was intentional not to transfer them to H3 as a creature. In Might and Magic VI, the game which was released between Heroes 2 and Heroes 3, the Monks already had the exact same design as Erathian Monks, but the Druids had a completely different design more similar to Heroes 3 Druid characters.

Knight Faction Lineup Monk1Knight Faction Lineup Druid1

In short, NWC wanted to add Monks in their next games, but they also had to redesign the Druids to make that possible. A hypothetical extension of Heroes 2 did not have place for Monks since the Druids are intact, and they do not solve our problems, so that is that. Angels at least would solve some, but we are limited in concept and will be forced to find another way around.
Back to top Go down
GodRage
Webmaster
Webmaster
GodRage

Quality Points : 228
Registration Date : 2009-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Knight Faction Lineup   Knight Faction Lineup Icon_minitime2019-01-28, 00:29

Could the druids be a creature with 2 alignments? Sorceress AND Knight, being recruited in Sorceress castle and Knight castle? Knight Faction Lineup 2455847575

About flyable creatures for Knight... I can think only of weak Crows, or maybe Eagles/Royal Eagles.
In french medieval-city "Carcassonne", there were some domesticated eagles: https://youtu.be/wjtWR3PQo-E?t=1971
But it would looklikes a little like the Rock of the Wizard? Knight Faction Lineup 3293758093
Back to top Go down
http://homm2.free.fr
norQ
Skeleton
Skeleton
norQ

Quality Points : 0
Registration Date : 2019-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Knight Faction Lineup   Knight Faction Lineup Icon_minitime2019-01-28, 06:33

Dear Orzie,

Thank you very much for your clarification. You seem to be way more knowledgable about the NWC original concept than me.

It is also clear that you are really determined to keep their original vision intact. I like that. :-)

Back to top Go down
Orzie
Master Modder
Master Modder
Orzie

PostSubject: Re: Knight Faction Lineup   Knight Faction Lineup Icon_minitime2019-01-28, 08:18

It's not that we actually can keep the original concept of NWC intact. Like I said before in designer's notes, Heroes 2 did not need new factions, and did not need so many new creature concepts. We are simply forced to do that in order to fill the niches. We cannot remove them even if we want to. Even the single Heretic faction was a lot of headache to remove from the game, and we still experience troubles with it.

But, indeed there is a certain vision on how to keep the Heroes 2 atmosphere in check, and do not make H3SW a game which is too much different, like WoG was different from vanilla Heroes 3.
Back to top Go down
trollworkout
Gargoyle
Gargoyle
trollworkout

Quality Points : 2
Registration Date : 2015-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Knight Faction Lineup   Knight Faction Lineup Icon_minitime2019-04-22, 16:04

Orzie wrote:
Even the single Heretic faction was a lot of headache to remove from the game, and we still experience troubles with it.

Will heretic make a comeback?

Also are there any tutorials how to create a new faction?
Back to top Go down
Orzie
Master Modder
Master Modder
Orzie

PostSubject: Re: Knight Faction Lineup   Knight Faction Lineup Icon_minitime2019-04-29, 21:02

The new faction (I don't know if it will be called Heretic) is supposed to appear in far future. However, there are no tutorials on how to make your own faction. You should study game design and study Heroes 2-Heroes 3 game design to understand which creatures would more or less fit, and which would not.

Regarding the modding aspects, there are tutorials here and there on WoG forum or Heroes Community about the replacement of existing factions. There are no known instruments in open access which can add a new 10th faction to the game.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Knight Faction Lineup   Knight Faction Lineup Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Knight Faction Lineup
Page 1 of 1