~ Forums of Enroth ~
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

~ Forums of Enroth ~

The Enroth diehard fan community

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Songs of Silence (HoMM like game)
Adventure Map Shadows Issue Icon_minitimeby Blake01 2024-03-27, 16:52

» Heroes Orchestra's 5th Birthday concerts with Paul Romero
Adventure Map Shadows Issue Icon_minitimeby rrravyn 2024-03-23, 22:45

» WARNING - The dreaded moment is here: Heroes 6 servers shutting down
Adventure Map Shadows Issue Icon_minitimeby Sir Albe 2024-03-22, 07:15

» fheroes2 General Announcements
Adventure Map Shadows Issue Icon_minitimeby sirDranik 2024-03-17, 23:35

» Photo Gallery
Adventure Map Shadows Issue Icon_minitimeby Sir Albe 2024-03-07, 06:57

» Polskie powitanie
Adventure Map Shadows Issue Icon_minitimeby rrravyn 2024-03-05, 04:02

» Heroes II localisation: how to make no-CD patch.
Adventure Map Shadows Issue Icon_minitimeby kiku 2024-02-19, 02:43

Poll
Global announcements should be:
Everlasting, 1 for each project.
Adventure Map Shadows Issue Redbar110%Adventure Map Shadows Issue Redbar12
 0% [ 0 ]
Temporary, when there is something new to announce.
Adventure Map Shadows Issue Redbar11100%Adventure Map Shadows Issue Redbar12
 100% [ 6 ]
Holalala... No idea where the Ultimate artifact is.
Adventure Map Shadows Issue Redbar110%Adventure Map Shadows Issue Redbar12
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6
Most Viewed Topics
H3SW: General Graphics discussion
Ragoon's Graphics For HoMM3SW
Introduce yourself
H3SW General Discussion
H3SW Map List: Work in progress
H3SW: Dwelling Development
Forum Admins Feed
The Floody Land
Enrothian Fan Art
Heroes III: The Succession Wars v0.8.1 Beta

Adventure Map Shadows Issue

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Orzie
Master Modder
Master Modder
Orzie

Quality Points : 843
Registration Date : 2014-12-12

Adventure Map Shadows Issue Empty
PostSubject: Adventure Map Shadows Issue   Adventure Map Shadows Issue Icon_minitime2017-02-05, 19:20

Another difference between Heroes 2 and Heroes 3 is the shadows for the adventure map objects, which currently cause problems with our maps.

Heroes 2 has much brighter gamma and its pixel graphics contrast more with each other. This results in a better compatibility for map objects which don't aggressively overlay on each other. In our maps the shadows are often a problem and such aggressive deep shadow tone draws too much attention on Heroes 2 bright terrains.

Adventure Map Shadows Issue TxtOkor

There are 2 factors which create this issue.

1. 4 shadow tones for Heroes 2 vs. 2 shadow tones for Heroes 3.

Adventure Map Shadows Issue WCe4jxV

Adventure Map Shadows Issue Asr7o5I

(the red dots on the body of the dwelling is a result of the same color used for different indexes. this won't cause problems in the game)

Multiple shadow tones allow the objects to fit more softly on the terrains.

2. Too deep shadow tone for index 4 in Heroes 3 (#ff00ff)

In fact, the maintenance colors reserved for shadows are the same for both games. The real trouble is that the deepest shadow tone (named Deep Shadow) is much darker than the same index for Heroes 2 palette. This causes problems with massive objects leaving a massive bulk shadow like mountains, castles, etc.

Adventure Map Shadows Issue CEQryMW

To sum up, only indexes 1 and 4 are used for Heroes 3, while indexes 2 and 3 seem to be redundant for the adventure map. However, these indexes are probably still used in combat or elsewhere.

The required adjustments to the shadows are both implementing all 4 tones AND making the tones much less aggressive. While the last action (making the tones less aggressive) can be performed without re-packing the map objects, the 4-tone feature will once require a re-check for our map objects which have more than 2 tones. For example, trees have all 4 tones, and the Oracle has 3 tones. I don't think it's necessary to fight for any objects different than the trees and probably castles/mines though.

Vampire
Vampire
Uhm

Quality Points : 477
Registration Date : 2015-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Map Shadows Issue   Adventure Map Shadows Issue Icon_minitime2017-02-06, 04:42

Another issue are wrong shadows on a white sand:

Adventure Map Shadows Issue Bez_tytu_u4

Well, Roland, it seems I've won our little contest.  But don't worry. Not only have I decided to spare your life, but I am appointing you monarch of the Western Tower.  Perhaps I will come and visit your splendid court, when you are not entertaining important rats and spiders.
Back to top Go down
Orzie
Master Modder
Master Modder
Orzie

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Map Shadows Issue   Adventure Map Shadows Issue Icon_minitime2017-02-06, 05:01

This is absolutely the same issue. Smile

Our shadows look too deep on every terrain because of the abovementioned reasons.

Vampire
Vampire
Uhm

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Map Shadows Issue   Adventure Map Shadows Issue Icon_minitime2017-02-06, 11:45

I am not so sure, it's a bit different shade. HoTA team also worked on this issue:

Adventure Map Shadows Issue Ezgif_com_gif_maker

Well, Roland, it seems I've won our little contest.  But don't worry. Not only have I decided to spare your life, but I am appointing you monarch of the Western Tower.  Perhaps I will come and visit your splendid court, when you are not entertaining important rats and spiders.
Back to top Go down
Orzie
Master Modder
Master Modder
Orzie

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Map Shadows Issue   Adventure Map Shadows Issue Icon_minitime2017-02-06, 17:47

This is definitely the same issue, and HotA team supposedly already know how to fix it. There are still 2 tones, but the shadow is "colored", so to say. It seems that this does not depend on terrain, it's just more visible on sand.

If you mean that there is half-transparent shadows - it's probably true, and this is probably what we require anyway, because HotA shadow looks almost H2-styled. Yet, it still doesn't have 4 tones.

I suppose I should add paragraph 3 in the top post regarding half-transparency.

Master Modder
Master Modder
feanor

Quality Points : 65
Registration Date : 2015-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Map Shadows Issue   Adventure Map Shadows Issue Icon_minitime2017-02-10, 06:53

What parameters (color and transparency coeff.) H2 shadow have?

Adventure Map Shadows Issue VkJ1CqnKlTc
Back to top Go down
Orzie
Master Modder
Master Modder
Orzie

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Map Shadows Issue   Adventure Map Shadows Issue Icon_minitime2017-02-10, 16:31

We can figure this out only experimentally.

I can either make a blank white terrain and pack it into Heroes 2 so we will be able to check the tones, or re-pack a mountain sprite with only 2 tones and just screenshot it on all terrains so we will be able to compare it with the same object in H3SW.

I'll do something related today.

Master Modder
Master Modder
Orzie

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Map Shadows Issue   Adventure Map Shadows Issue Icon_minitime2017-02-12, 07:00

Uhm wrote:
Another issue are wrong shadows on a white sand:

Adventure Map Shadows Issue Bez_tytu_u4

First steps towards the solution (only 1 shadow tone implemented):
Adventure Map Shadows Issue OluS3Gy

For some objects it doesn't work as expected currently though. Will need to check their defs tomorrow.

Also, it seems that our Sand terrain is packed incorrectly (lacking grey dots), while the shadow system needs a fix due to an obvious bug with 1-pixel shift.

The palette of the mountain seems to be ruined, too. Probably the same case as the one with creatures like we discussed in PM. Need to try repacking it with the newest version of DefTool (we will do that anyway after all 4 shadow tones are implemented)
Adventure Map Shadows Issue MuuIKLk

Vampire
Vampire
Uhm

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Map Shadows Issue   Adventure Map Shadows Issue Icon_minitime2017-02-12, 08:09

Terrain is packed properly. It looks like it's lacking some dots, because in fact sand terrain uses only one tile as a base and the rest differs only with dots in different colours and patterns.

Shadow is shifted, because probably you had swapped lighter pink border with darker pink and in a result deep shadow reach further.

I've also changed original mountain's colours to yellow. I think it looks better now.

Back to top Go down
feanor
Master Modder
Master Modder
feanor

Quality Points : 65
Registration Date : 2015-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Map Shadows Issue   Adventure Map Shadows Issue Icon_minitime2017-02-12, 11:22

No, shift is my bug (not really bug, cause I knew about this effect, just lazyness with proof-of-concept code)
Back to top Go down
Orzie
Master Modder
Master Modder
Orzie

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Map Shadows Issue   Adventure Map Shadows Issue Icon_minitime2017-02-19, 21:55

Current situation with the shadows (successfully implemented 4 tones for Heroes 3, but the palettes require major corrections).

Adventure Map Shadows Issue DDMMSIa3-Sg

Vampire
Vampire
Uhm

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Map Shadows Issue   Adventure Map Shadows Issue Icon_minitime2017-02-19, 22:15

So, now we will have to repack everything once again? Razz I would suggest to hold off with implementing it for v0.9, because otherwise we will never release v0.8.

Back to top Go down
Orzie
Master Modder
Master Modder
Orzie

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Map Shadows Issue   Adventure Map Shadows Issue Icon_minitime2017-02-19, 22:21

Yeah, this will be for later. I may personally spend some time to repack trees and mountains though.

Anyways, even the current 2 shadows will be softer and thus the maps will look more correct.

Master Modder
Master Modder
Orzie

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Map Shadows Issue   Adventure Map Shadows Issue Icon_minitime2017-04-02, 16:49

Guess what we have here Smile

Adventure Map Shadows Issue FeRPeVIWWwQ

Vampire
Vampire
Uhm

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Map Shadows Issue   Adventure Map Shadows Issue Icon_minitime2017-04-02, 21:27

Will it work with all of the map objects, involving these with a broken palette? We have no time for fixing it.

Back to top Go down
Orzie
Master Modder
Master Modder
Orzie

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Map Shadows Issue   Adventure Map Shadows Issue Icon_minitime2017-04-03, 03:48

Should work with everything, feanor makes it for 65536 colors. The only things which will eventually need repacking is the trees and mountains which in fact have more than 2 shadow tones and sometimes their shadows stack too aggressively. For v0.8 it's either none or all tree sprites on the global map - they require it the most and it shouldn't take long.

Vampire
Vampire
Uhm

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Map Shadows Issue   Adventure Map Shadows Issue Icon_minitime2017-05-02, 07:19

New shadows present a feature known from original H2: they're appearing on a neighbouring objects:

Adventure Map Shadows Issue Bez_tytusdu

But unfortunately it works only for the 2 newest shades...

EDIT: I was mistaken. In H2 not all of the objects cast shadows on other objects, but only palms do this. I wonder why did developers do this Adventure Map Shadows Issue 3293758093

Last edited by Uhm on 2017-05-02, 09:27; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sir Albe
Mage
Mage
Sir Albe

Quality Points : 452
Registration Date : 2015-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Map Shadows Issue   Adventure Map Shadows Issue Icon_minitime2017-05-02, 08:01

That doesn't look too good. I hope it can be fixed somehow, if not we should probably stick with the old shadow.
Back to top Go down
Orzie
Master Modder
Master Modder
Orzie

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Map Shadows Issue   Adventure Map Shadows Issue Icon_minitime2017-05-05, 01:03

I informed feanor on the matter, thank you. We probably cannot expect the solution too soon, so let's concentrate on other tasks left.

Mage
Mage
Sir Albe

Quality Points : 452
Registration Date : 2015-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Map Shadows Issue   Adventure Map Shadows Issue Icon_minitime2017-05-05, 04:16

Orzie wrote:
I informed feanor on the matter, thank you. We probably cannot expect the solution too soon, so let's concentrate on other tasks left.

Agree, let's leave this for now, keep the "old" shadows and finish the missing stuff.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Map Shadows Issue   Adventure Map Shadows Issue Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Adventure Map Shadows Issue
Page 1 of 1