~ Forums of Enroth ~

An Enroth diehard fan community

HomeHome  ChatChat  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» H3SW: General Graphics discussion
by robizeratul Yesterday at 11:45

» Ragoon's Graphics For HoMM3SW
by robizeratul Yesterday at 11:40

» Creature Quest – The New Adventure from JVC (feat some old NWC members)
by Galaad 2017-10-13, 20:34

» Modding Questions
by GodRage 2017-10-12, 18:32

» Introduce yourself
by Orzie 2017-10-12, 17:10

» [Ironfist ver 1.3.0] Sorrow's End map - Sprites of creatures missing on the adventure map
by Kristo 2017-10-12, 15:13

» [EN, RU][Offline] HoMM1 Main Tourney 2017-2 (Общий Турнир)
by Orzie 2017-10-11, 18:14

Poll
"Wait" in HoMM2?
Yes
80%
 80% [ 45 ]
No
20%
 20% [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 56
Most Viewed Topics
H3SW: General Graphics discussion
Ragoon's Graphics For HoMM3SW
H3SW General Discussion
H3SW: Dwelling Development
H3SW Map List: Work in progress
Dervish Faction General Concept
Enrothian Fan Art
H3SW Recruitment Point - Enroth Needs You!
Серия книг "Земли Меча и Магии"
Commanders?

Share | 

Allow to recruit base and upgraded creatures

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Unknown_Hero
Minotaur
Minotaur

Quality Points : 40
Registration Date : 2015-09-06

PostSubject: Allow to recruit base and upgraded creatures   2015-09-29, 10:08

Quote from this thread (2015-07-22, 05:55): http://heroes2.forumactif.com/t212p15-feature-requests-general-topic

Quote :
Allow the player to buy base creatures and upgraded creatures when the upgraded structures are built.

Sometimes I have not enough gold to buy all the upgraded creatures, I want to be able to buy the base creatures and upgrade them later.
Sometimes I have already built an upgraded structure (Ex: Armory Upgrade) and I discover a Freeman's Foundry near my castle. I want to be able to buy the base creatures (Ex: Swordsmen) and upgrade them at the Freeman's Foundry.

For the towns/castles, in the "Recruit (Name Creature)" window, a "CHANGE" button is added.
This button allows to cycle through the possible creatures for recruitment, and is only displayed if the upgraded dwelling for a specific creature is built.

The "CHANGE" button is also added to all recruit windows for the creature generators on the map (Troll Bridges, Cities of the Dead, Dragon Cities).

Ex:
One click on the "CHANGE" button changes the creature from Champion to Cavalry, another click changes from Cavalry to Champion, etc.
For the Dragons, the button allows to cycle from Black Dragon to Green Dragon to Red Dragon to Black Dragon, etc.

By default, the upgraded creature is selected when the window is opened the first time (Champion, Black Dragon, Ranger, etc.).
And the program remembers the last player choice for each dwelling in every castles and for each creature generator on the map.

Ex:
Recruitment set to Cavalry in castle A, recruitment set to Champion in castle B, etc.
Recruitment set to Green Dragon in Dragon City A, etc.

In all cases, the cost to recruit the creatures is adjusted accordingly.

Quote :
Allow the player to buy upgraded creatures in the creature generators on the adventure map (Archer's Houses, Watch Towers, Dwarf Cottages).
The base creatures join the hero for free as usual, but the hero can also buy the upgraded creatures (he has to pay the cost difference from base creature to upgraded creatures).

The same for the other creature generators (Troll Bridges, Cities of the Dead, Dragon Cities).
The hero can buy the base creatures and the upgraded creatures (the cost is also different between the base creatures and the upgraded creatures).

I think the player should also be able to upgrade this creatures types already in his army at a cost in the creatures generators on the adventure map.
Ex: A troop of Archers has joined the hero, the hero can go to an Archer's House to upgrade them, he has to pay to upgrade the Archers to Rangers.

For the creature generators on the map, in the generator message window, an "UPGRADE" button is added.
This button allows to upgrade the base creatures to the upgraded creatures, but at a cost (just the cost difference from base creatures to upgraded creatures, it's not based on the full upgraded creature price, only the cost difference, just like an upgrade of creature in a castle); the base creatures are still free, so, they join for free if the player clicks on the "YES" button as usual.
On the adventure map, the "UPGRADE" button is displayed only for the Archer's Houses, Watch Towers and Dwarf Cottages.

If the player clicks on the "UPGRADE" button, a message window with the cost to pay is displayed.

If the player clicks on the "NO" button in the message window with the cost to pay, he goes back to the generator message window, so he can always recruit the base creatures for free.

The "HERO" button added in the generator message window allows to open the Hero screen, so the player can dismiss other creature troops to make room for the recruited creatures (so, before recruiting the new creatures).
The player can also upgrade base creatures (already in his army) to upgraded creatures, when he his located on a creature generator of the same type of creature. When he accesses the Hero screen with the "HERO" button in the the generator message window, he can upgrade Archers (when the hero is located on an Archer's House) to Rangers at a cost (with the "UPGRADE" button in the creature info window).
When the player exits the Hero screen, he goes back to the generator message window.

When a hero his located on a creature generator and he accesses the Hero screen normally (after closing the generator message window), he can also upgrade Archers (when the hero is located on an Archer's House) to Rangers at a cost (with the "UPGRADE" button in the creature info window).

The "HERO" button is also added to the message window when troops want to join the hero army (for free, or due to the hero Diplomacy skill), or when the hero recruits troops in a creature generator on the map, so he can dismiss troops to make room for the recruitment.

I made the buttons specially for the occasion. Smile

Here the graphic files for the "CHANGE", "UPGRADE" and "HERO" buttons.
Back to top Go down
Darmani
Master Modder
Master Modder

Quality Points : 32
Registration Date : 2014-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Allow to recruit base and upgraded creatures   2015-10-01, 14:12

I think these are interesting proposals with both upsides and downsides. The ability to dismiss creatures to make room for random joinings raises a fundamental question about how high of a priority we want to make reducing frustration vs. other game design considerations.
Back to top Go down
Unknown_Hero
Minotaur
Minotaur

Quality Points : 40
Registration Date : 2015-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Allow to recruit base and upgraded creatures   2015-10-09, 08:26

For my part, I would always give priority to the absence of frustration versus the design, because it's a game, and games should be designed to have fun and not frustration; if a design brings frustration, perhaps it's not a so good design. Smile

The ability to recruit base and upgraded creatures is a must have for me, I wanted this since I played the demo of Heroes 2. Smile
It gives three benefices, first, it removes frustration, second, it adds to the player's strategic possibilities, and third, it reduces unwanted micromanagement of the heroes for the creature generators on the map (Troll Bridges, Cities of the Dead, Dragon Cities).

In terms of gameplay, apart the graphical change (the "CHANGE" button in the recruit creature window), the player can simply ignore the button and have the same gameplay as before, so perhaps made it optional to avoid the "visual pollution" for certain types of players.

The ability to upgrade creatures of the same type in the creature generators on the adventure map (Archer's Houses, Watch Towers, Dwarf Cottages) would also be a great feature for me.
My main reason for this, is to reduce the unwanted micromanagement of the heroes, and thus reduce frustration, it also adds strategic value to the locations, and gives strategic possibilities to the player.

Here again, apart the graphical change (the "UPGRADE" and "HERO" buttons in the generator window), the player can simply ignore the buttons and have the same gameplay as before.

The "UPGRADE" and "HERO" buttons in the generator window can also be "avoided" by allowing to revisit the location with the keyboard spacebar (the player can access the Hero Screen as usual, and the "UPGRADE" button is available in the creature info window).
In this case, the possibility to revisit the location with the spacebar is free of mouvement for the hero.

In the case of the Stone Liths (teleporters), each revisit (1 spacebar pressing) cost 1 movement point. It should also be possible to tweak the movement cost when revisiting a Stone Liths in an accessible file for testing and adjustement if necessary.

Concerning the "HERO" button when the hero recruits troops in a creature generator on the map (Rogues in Wagon in the example), it can also be "avoided" with the possibility to revisit the location with the spacebar; as for the other windows, it's less user friendly but it works (the player has no longer the frustration of having to leave the place and return to the place, and also lose movement points due to the user interface).

For the possibility to dismiss creatures to make room for the troops who want to join the hero army, I will propose it in another way, more in keeping with the original design. Smile
Back to top Go down

Allow to recruit base and upgraded creatures
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1