View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Uhm
Minotaur
Minotaur

Quality Points : 415
Registration Date : 2015-07-17

PostSubject: DOS version of Heroes 2 soundtrack   2015-08-14, 06:03

I've always thought, that H2 was released with soundtrack in 2 formats: CD audio and MIDI. Today I've found something new, must-have in my collection:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_6ofl0cQJI
It seems that DOS version has tracks in a bit lower quality. Maybe someone know where can I download them, or at least know which version of H2 I need to find? I would be much obliged Happy  .
Back to top Go down
Evaline
Peasant
Peasant

Quality Points : 3
Registration Date : 2015-08-13

PostSubject: Re: DOS version of Heroes 2 soundtrack   2015-08-15, 00:13

Quote :
I've always thought, that H2 was released with soundtrack in 2 formats: CD audio and MIDI.
That's true. All official Heroes II releases from 1996-1997 (there are three of them: The Succession Wars, The Price of Loyalty official expansion pack and Heroes of Might and Magic Compendium Edition Compilation) include both DOS and Windows Heroes II game versions on a single CD with sound track in CD Audio format (Mixed Mode-1/1 Data/42 Audio tracks). However, sound track in Midi format is present in heroes2.agg game archive. Music type (Midi/CD Stereo with no Opera/CD Stereo with Opera) can be selected via game options. Other variants of the soundtrack does not exist (at least official ones).

P.S. In later official Heroes II releases (Heroes II Gold from 1998, Millenium Edition Compilation from 1999 and Platinum Edition Compilation from 2002) DOS version of the game has been removed. Heroes II Gold for DOS does not exist.
Back to top Go down
GodRage
Webmaster
Webmaster

Quality Points : 144
Registration Date : 2009-09-21

PostSubject: Re: DOS version of Heroes 2 soundtrack   2015-08-15, 00:40

I think the DOS mode just don't read all the datas of the MIDI files like windows can do. Wink (and with maybe a lower speed... depends on how today's "dosbox" is setting up.)

Midi musics are stored in AGG files.
In PoL's AGG file, there is just the 6 castles midi files... So the lands musics didn't change... (maybe... My H2 version is a Deluxe version (kind of gold version..) so I can't be sure if they changed datas of H2.AGG )

And I bet that the DOS version of the game read the same AGG files.

Uhm
Minotaur
Minotaur

Quality Points : 415
Registration Date : 2015-07-17

PostSubject: Re: DOS version of Heroes 2 soundtrack   2015-08-15, 12:06

After short investigation I managed to run SW in DOSBox. The music is indeed MIDI, but DOS version allows us to emulate it in Soundblaster. It's quality is much lower, however bring us a specific climate. I will check if there is a way to extract those tracks in modified state.
Back to top Go down

DOS version of Heroes 2 soundtrack
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1