H3SW: General Graphics discussion
Ragoon's Graphics For HoMM3SW
H3SW General Discussion
H3SW: Dwelling Development
H3SW Map List: Work in progress
Dervish Faction General Concept
Enrothian Fan Art
Commanders?
H3SW Recruitment Point - Enroth Needs You!
Серия книг "Земли Меча и Магии"

Share | 

Standalone version of H3SW? (read for better explanation)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
trollworkout
Skeleton
Skeleton

Quality Points : 1
Registration Date : 2015-08-06

PostSubject: Standalone version of H3SW? (read for better explanation)   2015-08-08, 04:52

So I really like where this is going and tbh while i like some of the new  HOMM3 engine features and factions & customizability of WOG but I like HOMM2 look and concept best.

So essentially Succession Wars is perfect mod for me.

In fact I'm even considering making a new town  specifically with Succession Wars mod.

Now with all that in mind 1. I like HOMM3 engine but 2. I like Succession wars concept/graphics then would it be possible to make an installer that can:

a. Remove all original HOMM3 graphics (and music and sounds and all other unused data) from the game and keep it Succession Wars only.
b. Adds modding functions/tools to extend Succession Wars so anyone can extend this mod and add their own towns, creatures and so forth.

?
Back to top Go down
Orzie
Master Modder
Master Modder

Quality Points : 665
Registration Date : 2014-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Standalone version of H3SW? (read for better explanation)   2015-08-08, 05:06

The trouble is that there is no easy way to add new towns. Only VCMI platform allows that along with many other features you may have in mind, but it doesn't have RMG, viable AI and campaigns as well as many other features. So that we stick to ERA.

The other trouble is that we will be not very happy if people started forking our developments and adding their concepts as if those were their own mods. This may very well bring bad reputation over us if the new assets quality will be not good enough.

Another thing to consider is the copyright. We CANNOT make a standalone release not requiring clean Heroes 3. It is illegal, and we don't want any troubles with Ubisoft. Neither we have a desire to develop a game from scratch. If we could, we woudn't be modders.

The only thing we are going to do is making an install-and-play version of H3SW which will act like Horn of the Abyss fan-made expansion. The discussion is held there.

trollworkout
Skeleton
Skeleton

PostSubject: Re: Standalone version of H3SW? (read for better explanation)   2015-08-08, 05:16

i don't mean to distribute homm3+succession wars mod

i mean the installer has an option to remove original homm3 data that succession wars mod overrides.

i don't want to take over your mod. i simply wanna extend it with extra content like new artifacts, new creatures and new towns etc. the content is optional of course and not part of the original mod. is kinda like what you're doing now. changing homm3 . the original dev team might think your mod takes away from the quality of the original game but some people disagree. that's why mods are cool.

i mean create mods that fit with the succession wars look/feel rather than the original game.

for example new maps new map editor some form of scripting tool that or modding tool that people can use to create extra content not part of the mod.
Back to top Go down
Orzie
Master Modder
Master Modder

PostSubject: Re: Standalone version of H3SW? (read for better explanation)   2015-08-08, 05:29

Which original homm3 data do you mean? If you speak about graphics, we are a total conversion. Any H3 asset you see is a placeholder which will be replaced in future.

I must note that the latest version available in public is 2013 beta which is gruesomely outdated.

Concerning the tools, we are not able to provide any H3 editing tools rather than already available ones.

Concerning changing homm3 and the devs - yes, you are right, but we are afraid that people will mistake someone else's project with ours. It's obvious that our creative solution is likely to be used primarily in our project, and it may look totally out of place in someone else's mod. For example, if someone took our Anubite and put to the Warlock's castle, it won't look good for tons of reasons because our Anubite was originally modeled for the Dervish faction. We spent a lot of time designing that faction and all that. Creating a new town is not an easy task, and frankly, I don't believe there are many people capable of doing that on an acceptable level. There was a whole website of new town ideas for Heroes 3, and I must say only 1% of them made any sense. And yes, there is only 1 castle for Heroes 3 which was released in an acceptable quality - the Cove castle. It took 5 years to develop.

Anyway, we have a thread with content usage permissions.

trollworkout
Skeleton
Skeleton

PostSubject: Re: Standalone version of H3SW? (read for better explanation)   2015-08-08, 05:36

i was thinking of this

you mod homm3

release a homm 3 installer for succession wars mod

the installer asks if you wanna remove the original homm3 data

the installer asks if you want to add modding tools

modding tools extend the functionality of the mod with little addons(or plugins) but cannot change the original main mod. the addons/plugins only work after installing the main homm3 succession wars mod so depend on your main mod . whatever you guys do to the main mod the addons/plugins have to do it too.
Back to top Go down
Orzie
Master Modder
Master Modder

PostSubject: Re: Standalone version of H3SW? (read for better explanation)   2015-08-08, 05:42

I still don't understand WHY you need to remove original HoMM3 data. It makes no sense because you still need Heroes 3 data to launch the mod. The mod cannot be launched without Heroes 3 data. The system of portable mods is the most convenient solution because it allows to keep many mods in one game folder at once with all of them not mixed with each other.

Same for modding tools - ALL of them are already present in ERA 2.46.

You already can do all that making ERA minimods and placing them over H3SW in the Era Mod Manager.

trollworkout
Skeleton
Skeleton

PostSubject: Re: Standalone version of H3SW? (read for better explanation)   2015-08-08, 05:45

the removing original data is my own quirk thing i just want to rid myself of the bloat and keep the game simple. is not really needed Smile
Back to top Go down
Valery 2015
Peasant
Peasant

Quality Points : 4
Registration Date : 2015-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Standalone version of H3SW? (read for better explanation)   2015-08-09, 11:41

trollworkout, have you ever used Era? If not, be patient and wait for mod to come out, because technically what you ask is non sense. If yes, then you know that Era works as mods platform, once a mod is enabled,  it overwrites any similar features from HommIII/data. This means there is NO need to delete, and this is a huge improvement over WoG 3.58 which required one fresh install for EVERY mod.

Removing Heroes data would be a dumb thing to do. ERA  allows to play 160 mods actually; if you remove vanilla data, all those mods will become not compatible.

Then you are not the only one playing it. Moreover, txt files from vanilla are required to start the game, if one is missing, no game for you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Standalone version of H3SW? (read for better explanation)   

Back to top Go down

Standalone version of H3SW? (read for better explanation)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1